All RoxGolf.com events will now be using RgA Rules in conjunction with the Rules of Golf by the USGA.
Do you have trouble reading, understanding, and applying the Rules of Golf by the USGA®?
Do you think that some of their rules are too strict?
If so, start playing by official RgA Rules. They are a unified set of rules that promote speedy play, eliminate unfortunate lies, and make golf a little bit easier and much more enjoyable. The game of golf is hard enough. Why play by rules that make it harder & slower?
Adopt RgA Rules for your group.
"Join the Revolution"
Play fast and have fun.
9 holes = 2 hours or less
Rules updated 1-1-2018
Rule 1 - Breakfast Ball
Why ruin your entire day with a bad first shot?
Every player has the option to hit a second tee shot on their first hole of the day.
However, if you choose to hit a second tee shot, you MUST play it. You are not permitted to play the best one of the two.
Also, the decision to hit a Breakfast Ball must be made while still on the tee.
Rule 2 - Improved Lies
“Lift, Clean, and Place” will be permitted everywhere (including hazards), but not in bunkers. Every player is permitted to place (or roll) their ball on the best spot, within 6" of where it was at rest.
This rule eliminates CHEATING. "Fluffing" their ball when nobody is looking is the #1 way cheaters gain an advantage.
However, there are three exceptions to Rule 2:
(1) You may NOT change your cut of grass.
(2) You may NOT move your ball if it improves your "Line of Sight" or "Line of Swing".
(3) NO-TOUCH in bunkers, unless you are in an un-raked footprint or weather-beaten sand. If so, you may rake a fresh spot then place your ball.
Rule 3 – Lost Balls and OB
If your ball is lost or unplayable because it's:
- in a staked penalty area
- in woods, weeds, or deep grass...
- too dark to easily locate
- ricocheted off of a tree branch
-OR- if it is Out of Bounds,
You must ADD a penalty, then:
(1) re-hit from the original spot,
(2) drop within 2 club lengths of the point that the ball ENTERED the penalty area or OB, or
(3) drop on a line that keeps the point that the ball ENTERED the penalty area directly between your ball and the hole, going back as far as you want.
(4) drop in the area that your ball ricocheted from or was last seen or suspected to be.
Remember, it is where the ball ENTERED the area, not the total distance the ball traveled.
For non-staked areas, you should use the change of conditions to determine the line that denotes the penalty area.
You get relief from over-hanging limbs, however, you do not get relief from trees further down the tree line.
NO PENALTY Exceptions:
(1) Plugged Balls
(3) Thick Rough along fairway
(4) Taken by Someone
If your ball can't be found due to 1 of these 4 reasons, AND/OR your foursome agrees that it DEFINITELY should have been found, you may drop in the area that your ball was believed to be WITHOUT penalty.
However, if it is possible it’s in a "penalty area", you must add a penalty stroke.
Rule 4 - Accidental Contact
There is no penalty for accidentally striking your ball during a practice stroke or at address. Quickly replace the ball & continue.
Rule 5 - Root Rule
You may take relief from roots along the ground, but not the roots that grow upwards and are connected to the trunk.
Rule 6 - Bunkers, Hazards, etc..
There is no penalty for touching a bunker, hazard, or penalty area with your club. You MAY even touch your club to the sand or the ground at address. However, you may NOT take practice swings or excessively depress the sand behind the ball as to gain an advantage by making the ball easier to hit.
Rule 7 – Information Sharing
To speed up play, discussion of yardages and club selection between players is encouraged.
Rule 8 - Man Made Objects
If you hit your ball near a man-made object (a post, a bench, an OB fence, a garbage can, a cart path, etc…) you may take complete relief. You may take relief if the object hinders your stance, swing, or line of sight. You are to move your ball to the spot that is the NEAREST point of complete relief.
Note: This rule includes all decorative flower beds.
Rule 9 - Wrong Ball
There is no penalty for hitting the wrong ball once. Quickly replace it and proceed with the correct ball. However, if you hit the wrong ball 2 consecutive shots, you must finish with it, count your strokes, and ADD A PENALTY. Please be mindful of holding-up play and fix any errors as quickly as possible.
Rule 10 – Equipment
Any commercially available club (14 max) or ball is acceptable for play. Also, the player may swap-out their ball at any time during play. However, you may not have separate balls for driving and putting, continually switching between the two.
RgA Rules for Scrambles
Players should mark the spot of the ball that they choose to play. Then, each player may place their ball within one club length of the marked spot, no closer to the hole. You MAY change your cut of grass, and/or move it out of water or from Out of Bounds, if it is close enough. However, you may NOT move it out of bunkers, but you may move it one club-length in the bunker and give yourself a perfect lie. No BREAKFAST BALLS in Scrambles.
RgA Rules for Shambles
Everyone hits their tee shot. Then, each player has the choice of playing-in from any tee shot in their group. Not everyone has to play from the same tee shot. Once you select the tee shot you want to play from, you will play your own ball until it is in the hole, according to RgA rules. No BREAKFAST BALLS in Shambles.
RgA Tips for Speedy Play
1. Don't always mark your ball on the green. Only mark when you are in someone's way or have to clean your ball.
2. Putt-out, whenever possible, instead of always marking and waiting. Excessive marking of balls really slows down play.
3. Always know when you are next. Be ready to play when it is your turn. Prepare to hit your shot while waiting.
4. Play "Ready Golf" and hit. Don’t always observe “Honors” on the tee or wait for players behind you if they aren’t ready to hit.
5. Always watch your playing partners’ shots and help them search for their ball when lost.
6. Limit your time at the turn to getting supplies and/or using the rest rooms. Eat while playing, not while stopped at the turn.
7. Use Smartphone apps, GPS devices, or laser range-finders for assessing yardages.
8. Tee it forward. Play from the appropriate tees for your skill level. Hitting Driver then Wedge all day can be really fun.
9. When sharing a cart, whenever possible, drop off your partner at their ball with their club then go to your ball and hit. You can meet up after.
RgA Guide to Golf Etiquette
- Always check with the course in advance, but denim blue jeans aren’t a good idea. Wear khakis, slacks, or Bermuda style shorts.
- Collared shirts are best, however, nice collarless shirts (not t-shirts) are typically fine at public courses.
- Sleeveless shirts are acceptable for women golfers only.
- Soft spike golf shoes or sneakers are the norm. Most courses do not allow metal spikes anymore.
- Arrive at the golf course 30 minutes prior to your tee time, check in at the pro shop upon arrival, and be at the first tee 10 minutes before your tee time.
Speed of Play
- Always keep up with the group ahead of you. Remember, golf is much more enjoyable when played in 4 hours or less. If you are unable to keep pace, please allow faster groups to play thru.
- Carry an RgA rule book for quick and easy reference when needed.
RgA Rules for a Single Foursome Skins Game
It is recommended that foursomes should play two separate games in an 18-hole round. They should play a Front 9 Skins Game and a Back 9 Skins Game by the following rules:
PAR or Better to win a Skin. Two tie, all tie. The Skin is cancelled. No Carry-overs.
Whoever earns the most Skins WINS the game and collects from the 2 players with the least amount of earned Skins.
2nd place = No Pay. If 2 tie for 2nd place, they split the No Pay and pay Half each.
Everyone that ties for the least amount of Skins pays the full amount.
In a foursome, if 3 tie for 1st place, the game is nullified. If 2 tie for 1st place, they split the money from the 2 losers.
In a threesome, if 2 tie for first place, the game is nullified. Also, there isn't a 2nd Place No Pay in threesomes.